A teenager from Ohio tragically overdosed on an over-the-counter drug while participating in a TikTok challenge. Jacob Stevens, a 13-year-old victim, took part in the “Benadryl Challenge,” in which he swallowed 12-14 of the antihistamines to create hallucinations. American media have reported that Jacob’s dose, which resulted in health concerns during the tragic act, was roughly six times the allowed amount.
In 2020, it really took off with American teenagers. Many teenagers posted videos to TikTok in which they attempted the potentially fatal challenge.
Jacob overdosed last weekend while at home with friends, according to a statement broadcast by his father, Justin, on ABC 6. “It was too much for his body,” the distraught father said to the newscaster. Jacob was transported to the hospital after he ingested a large number of tablets and was immediately placed on artificial breathing. Nearly a week later, on the sixth day of being kept alive by a ventilator, Jacob Stevens passed away, marking what his father called “the worst day of his life.” After Jacob’s death, his family felt compelled to issue a warning to other parents about the dangers of the challenge. His father made an impassioned plea for parents to keep an eye on their kids’ internet behavior to prevent any mishaps. He reportedly approached state and regional representatives to have medicines like Benadryl sold only to those of a certain minimum age.
Who is Jacob Stevens?
Jacob, age 13, fatally overdosed after ingesting nearly six times the recommended dose. His father, Justin Stevens, said on national television that his son, who was at home with friends the weekend before, died of an overdose. Ultimately, “it was too much for his body,” he explained. After taking the drugs, Jacob was taken to the hospital and immediately placed on life support. Nearly a week later, on the sixth day of being kept alive on a ventilator, he passed away. His father called it “the worst day of his life.”
Since that tragic event, the Stevens family has spoken out to other parents about the risks associated with the “Benadryl Challenge.” So that this doesn’t happen again, Justin urged parents to monitor their children’s online activity. Supposedly, he also broached the subject of mandating a minimum age to purchase antihistamines with local legislators.
Jacob Stevens Cause of death
Previous warnings regarding the “Benadryl Challenge” were issued by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Benadryl’s active ingredient, diphenhydramine, is an antihistamine. The common cold, the flu, a runny nose, and cough are just some of the ailments that might benefit from therapy. While diphenhydramine at low doses has been deemed “safe and effective,” a toxic overdose can lead to cardiac arrhythmias, convulsions, coma, and even death.
The doctors told Jacob Stevens’ father that his kid was brain dead, and the news was so devastating that it seemed like time had stopped. Nothing was seen on the MRI of his brain. Justin remarked, “They said we could keep him on the vent and he might lay there, but he would never open his eyes, breathe, smile, walk, or talk.
Read Also: K-pop star Moonbin of Astro dies at 25